Pete and Laz

Pete and Laz
Yeah, Pete it's rough...but it's a runner.

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Auburn CJMC Show Part 4...Why, it's a chopped-bobbed-custom-cafe-tracker-brat, but it's almost stock...


Just wanted to see this little guy again...


Well, have decided the next time I cover an event with lots of bikes....I'll get a flicker account and post the majority of the pics that way.

Just going to put these up without trying to categorize (too much), or say too much.... seems these days there is a lot of cross-over in categories anyway....and I'm not too sure how I would describe some of these bikes anyway. I'm not really too sure what a 'brat' bike is, or what constitutes a 'bob-job', a 'chopper', or a 'custom'....these days. My concept of all this goes back to the sixties when I started playing with bikes, so I'll leave it up to you all to decide how to apply labels...

Of course some of these bikes are obviously 'stock', but some are better than they were when they left the factory.


Very cherry looking Honda Intercepter


CX 500 Turbo

The 'featured' bike of this meet were Honda CX series bikes...


A pair of Honda CX 650 Turbos


CBX six cylinder Touring

And of course a 'stock' bike designation can be broken down into various categories. Sport, Touring, Sport-Touring, On-road, Off-road, Dual Sport, and on and on...


Honda CB 500...ummm bite my tongue...


Yamaha Scrambler...?


Thump...


Yamaha 650...


Honda CX 500...


Nother Honda CX...


Another Yamaha 650...


I'd call this a 'chopped' hard-tailed Honda 750, but some would say it was....?


Honda CB 550...


A Kawa, for 'Kawa'...


A bike I've found intriguing, a Honda Reflex...sort of a street legal Trials bike...?


Another bike I like, this SL-90
I have one without a motor. It came fitted with a Bridgestone 120 two stroke motor, that I gave away to a friend who needed a motor for a go-kart. Someday I'll put a 90 motor back into it....the frame had chunks cut away, so will have to restore that....


Another Cb 550, would have liked to have heard this one fired up. I missed the point where they have a time when a lot of the bikes were started up...for the listening enjoyment of the audience.


'Suitcase bikes'





Quick release fitting...


Break apart fitting installed on frame...one of several. 


A Yamaha that was also converted to a 'suitcase bike'...


Detail of frame mod on the Yamaha 

I'd like to see what one of these looked like broken down....another internet search it seems.


And, a '78 Honda CX 500....that has been super-restored....I've got one of these, and I don't think I'm going to do a lavish resto on it. As goofy and gawky as they look, I've kind of grown to like mine. Let's see, I got stalled at the point where I was coming up with a home-brewed exhaust system to replace the rotted out original.... 

To sum up, lot's of fun was had by all...some good parts found for my SL-350 project...another British project was acquired...as well as a beautiful BSA tank. Can't wait to do it again next year. 
Got to see some old friends, made some new ones...even ran into my old foreman Tim, from the motorcycle shop days. He and his daughter were looking for parts for their Honda 125 single projects.
Next up will be progress...? hopefully on both the SL 350 and the Triumph Cub teardown/inspection. So get out to your workspaces and tear something down, or up.


.































2 comments:

  1. There's a lot of 'cool' tracker style jiggers there Laz, it can be done apparently . . . the CX thing was obviously quite big over there, and now having seen one to remind me, we did get a few of the Turbo version over here, sadly I thing they were all plagued by idiot owners without a clue about basic preventative maintenance . . . the wee Cub looks quite devoid of trauma except some rough edges around the head sealing groove, +.080 doesn't leave much meat in the bore for further re-boring though. Were they the same ring specs as the Daytona 500 . . . I'm sure your obvious scavenging prowess will deliver the goods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how the piston in a cub compares to a Tri. 500 twin, do know that a 500 is similar to a 441 piston...which is a stroker compared to a Cub....so it might be similar in diameter. I have a 441 piston I can match it up to, course these days I can probably 'Google' it. Yeah, some of the bikes were nice and had a lot of good workmanship in them. I guess when I hear 'tracker' I see Gary Nixon or Gene Romero on a stripped down British bike...with out a front brake, or too many other frills. Don't get me wrong, wouldn't mind having a nice 'Street Tracker' myself, but I'd probably keep it looking like the period of the bike...The Cub uses a pretty thick copper head gasket (like the big bro twins), so hoping when I anneal it and install it will seal a 'treat'...had to throw that in there...(shades of 'Cafe Racer' magazine on the East coast trying to sound all British and stuff...pip.pip...toodle loo...)

    ReplyDelete