Pete and Laz

Pete and Laz
Yeah, Pete it's rough...but it's a runner.

Friday, June 3, 2016

Stalled projects, current projects, upcoming projects...and long term projects.


Don't mind me folks....just doodling here..looking through the "Picassa web album" here at my blog, and sort of picking out various pics as a reminder to myself....

A few years ago I picked up this bargain of a Kawasaki Ninja 250...ran into a bit of a paperwork hassle at the Department of Motor Vehicles...and the shop I purchased it at is now gone...call this one...stalled, going into long term... 




Years ago I bought the CX 500, more out of curiosity than for any other reason. The CB 550 I bought in a bid to relive a CB 500 I once owned. Rode both of them for quite a while as commuters. The exhaust system on the CX expired and it started giving me electrical headaches. For awhile I had entertained the idea of going the Café route with it, but then CX's became the "in" machine to customize and has killed my enthusiasm to go that route...

The CB 550 had a hard life from previous owners...it started burning oil...the head gasket had given up...it now has been taken apart..Both of these moving into "long term project" status...




An older pic of one  my SL 350's, as it was briefly a Cáfe bike...my wrists decided the Dunstall clip- ons were too severe.        




A more recent picture of the SL 350...it is currently stalled...


Everyone should have a Triumph Cub project. Have owned this several years now...must be a long term project...I have most all of  the parts I need. My intent is to build a pre 65 trials bike with it.


Oh yes...my long neglected, long term Norton 850 Commando project...this is a head to replace the one with a stripped out exhaust port thread. Thinking of going to a Triumph style slip on header system to alleviate further problems here. Of all my bikes, this is the one I miss the most. It once belonged to an American serviceman stationed in the UK. The engine was built by Mick Hemmings years ago. The head was supposed to have been ported to a racing spec with a camshaft to suit. I have never had it apart to confirm this...but by seat of the pants testing, it did seem to run stronger than other Commandos I've ridden. Eventually my friend Denis and I want to do some comparison testing on a flow bench he has purchased.   


A very out of focus shot of my Honda SL 100 play racer at the inaugural DirtQuake US (2014) have quit using that old Kodak, and most of my shots are with the phone these days... this bike is current status and with any luck will be participating in DirtQuake (2016).


An XR 200 R...current status as well....needs some work in the lighting department. It is street legal. Bought  it last year to participate in a desert run, known as LA/ Barstow to Vegas....maybe try again this year. Been riding it around town a bit, knobbie tires and all...


This picture represents a long term project moving into current status...parts purchased on E Bay  for my !971 CL 450...( guess I've always liked Scramblers, before it became hip to...)

Mine is just like the one in this old Honda advertisement....




Oh man this pile of rust represents a very long term project of mine. A 1957 Triumph pre-unit done the hard way. Taking a very badly chopped bike back to stock. Started with an incomplete basket case I traded a perfectly good running Honda S 90 for back when I was just out of High school...and then the chopped bike I picked up at a San Jose BSA Club show around ten years ago. it's pretty much all there...just some assembly required....


Another long termer...sitting in my shed is a Spitfire Scrambler that needs some magneto attention. I bought this one when you could get them for 200 dollars...ahem, a while ago...


An upcoming project... a much modified Sportster..


And another upcoming project, a slightly modified Kawa 600...


Just for fun..a VW powered experimental aircraft my father and I built in the 70's. Yes powered by the same motor as the VW Bug in the neighbors driveway.

OK , think I've doodled enough...next time, reportage of amateur racing preperations...






1 comment: